Saturday, August 31, 2013

Definitely Worth Mentioning

I have a difficult time explaining why I have the passion for social media that I do.  Sometimes it's just best to include the details that lead me to that "tough to describe" place.  A training we facilitated last week led to one of those special moments.

Members of our team were conducting a training focused on a tool we use called Schoology.  The trainees included district professional learning representatives, instructional coaches, department coordinators, building instructional technology coordinators, and many others.  I had a few moments at the beginning of our training to check in on Foursquare to say where I was and what I was doing at the time.  I do this as I go to different buildings throughout the district.  For one, it's fun.  It also can serve as an informal record of support at the same time.

Presentation focused on @Schoology for coordinators, coaches, mentors, and building techs. #CCSDTech http://t.co/NUGqY00DcQ
A couple of minutes after that I snapped a picture and described a little more about our audience for the day.  Tweets with media embedded/shared within them are just plain better.

CCSD instructional leadership learning how to integrate @Schoology into all the great things they already do. pic.twitter.com/2zl5B9YbWq

Here's where the magic begins.

After another tweet or two I received a notification that one of my tweets had been retweeted by a user named Ryan Hwang.


I have been on Twitter a while and know there are many different reasons why someone would retweet something of mine.  He/she could be a spammer or someone looking for a new followers/someone wanting to sell something to me or whatever.  I decided to check his profile to make sure this was someone who was legit.  Here's what I found out:


Okay then...

Not only was Ryan Hwang not a spammer, he was the founder and Chief Product Officer for the tool we were training people on!

Moments after that retweet I received an alert regarding my newest follower on Twitter:



Now we're having some fun.

Next was a tweet mentioning my colleagues and me (with the appropriate hashtag):

Awesome! We're excited to have you all on board. Good luck with the rest of your presentations. @JayVeanCCSD @Schoology #CCSDTech

During the training I was sharing the Twitter details with my colleagues as well.  My new follower, as well as knowing the company was following what we were doing live, kept me motivated to share more, while obviously staying engaged with our in-person audience at the same time.

Then, the official Schoology Twitter feed chimed in:

Loving the updates from the #ccsdtech training, thanks @nmezatechlearn @jayveanccsd @kellie80!
After a little more "play-by-play" our training concluded.  It was the least I could do to thank Ryan and Schoology for the unexpected surprise.

@Schoology Thanks for following our training sessions today! #CCSDTech @nmezatechlearn @kellie80

Thinking about strategic mentions as tweets are created can be a powerful thing.  I had obviously heard of Schoology before our training, but the name of Ryan Hwang meant nothing to me.  I'm sure my name, initially, meant just as much to him.  As he began to see some mentions from my account  things took shape and before long there was excitement and motivation created.  I would like to assume that he shared his side of this story with some of the colleagues around his office.  I know I did.

UPDATE: This tweet came through the next afternoon.

Jen is Schoology's Community Manager, so it was confirmed that more people than Ryan were aware of our tweets and training.  That's pretty powerful considering that we're in Colorado and Schoology is based in New York City.

These mentions and interactions are a way to share valuable information (about a tool that we use and love) while, simultaneously, creating potential social connections that otherwise would not have had the opportunity to happen without the use of a tool like Twitter.

Above all, while using Twitter in a meaningful way (and while you may not realize it at the time) the "right" people may playing much closer attention than you ever thought.

So, for obvious reasons, my passion for social media rolls on.

4 comments:

  1. I see ALL the tweets ;) and I know a few other people in the office (Ryan included) often check in as well. It's a valuable feedback tool for us, but it also allows us to share all the awesome things our community is doing and hopefully helps others in the process. We love highlighting user stories and were really excited to see you guys all learning about Schoology! Thanks for the tweets and the post :)
    Jen, Schoology Community Manager

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen...

      Taking the time to leave this comment says so much. Thank you. We believe in your tool and are working hard to foster that belief with whoever will listen to us here in CCSD. We'll keep you up to date and as I mentioned in my blog post, knowing you're paying attention to us makes us want to work that much harder.

      Take care and talk to you again soon, Jay

      Delete
  2. I can confirm that Jen Marie does indeed see all the Tweets, they responded to mine as well as I am sure many others. Great community engagement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I definitely agree. I had a similar experience when I posted the top 10 reasons I love Schoology in my blog. Schoology has positively impacted my students tremendously. Check out my post here: http://rabbiswigard.blogspot.com/2014/01/schoology-top-10-list.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete