Monday, August 26, 2013

Selling the Sizzle...

I have a former Aurora Public Schools colleague (and great friend) who is one of the biggest Seinfeld fans out there.  He shared a Seinfeld clip with me long ago.  It features Kramer being in the right place at the right time and accidentally getting a job.  One of our favorite lines from the episode is right here.

I have a long list of reasons why I enjoy what I do, and toward the top of that list is "selling the sizzle" rather than selling the steak.  This actually happened recently as my colleague and I were meeting with a principal and a technology teacher at one of the elementary schools in our feeder area.  "Sizzle" words like "collaboration", "PLCs", "formative assessment", and "alignment" starting working their way into our conversation so we naturally went to our current steak, which is Schoology.  Let's just say that this was a very simple sell.  This meeting ended with possibilities and excitement.  Not to brag, but most of our meetings with building leadership end this same way.

I'm not sure how long Schoology will be around, and my guess, thinking big picture, won't be forever.  Very few tools (if any) last forever.  But the sizzle, no matter the tool, keeps selling itself.  Sizzle is collaboration, efficiency, working "smarter" and not "harder" and the list goes on and on.  Tools that lend themselves to these 21st Century skills allow us to sell the sizzle rather than the steak.

That's what we do, and that's what I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment